Ocoee Youth Council
The Ocoee City Commission values the youth of our community and supports positive youth development. The Ocoee Youth Council (OYC) will provide a constructive means for youth to have a voice in the decision-making processes, to provide opportunities for self-growth, and to develop youth as future leaders. The Ocoee City Commission finds that the creation of the OYC is in the best interest of the City of Ocoee and its residents.
- OYC members shall be residents of Ocoee and may attend public or private schools.
- The OYC will consist of up to 15 members who are entering grades 9 – 12.
- Potential candidates must complete an OYC application. Student applications will be reviewed by the OYC Coordinator; City of Ocoee Commissioner(s) and the Mayor. Students will be interviewed by the OYC Coordinator and members of the Commission.
- OYC members shall serve for a term of one year.
- OYC members may be reappointed at the end of their term. OYC members may serve up to four years.
- An OYC member’s final term of office shall end in August, following completion of the member’s senior year of high school.
- The OYC shall meet at least seven times during a term year.
The OYC shall be solely advisory and may address the following matters
- Serve as an advisory group to make recommendations on matters affecting youth in the community.
- Increase youth participation and involvement in local government. Incorporate ethics, Florida Sunshine Laws, the importance of voting, and running for public office.
- Seek and recommend ways to improve communication with students in area schools.
- Organize and perform service projects that benefit the Ocoee community.
- Recommend the creation of educational activities, recognition programs, and employment opportunities for youth in the community.
Ocoee Youth Council Photo Gallery
See photos of events and meetings of the Ocoee Youth Council.
Application Deadline, Schedule & Suggestions
Applications will be accepted until all of the OYC openings are filled. Interested youth should submit their application (PDF) to the Ocoee City Clerk’s Office at CCDL@ocoee.org. A confirmation e-mail will be sent within seven business days of receipt. Any questions about the OYC should be directed to Dorcas Dillard, Youth Council Coordinator at YouthCouncil@ocoee.org.
City of Ocoee Commission Meetings are televised (Spectrum channel 493) and generally held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at City Hall at 150 Lakeshore Drive at 6:15 p.m. Take the time to attend or view your community Commission Meetings and learn more about your community.